Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The little things...


At 2PM Tuesday afternoon, a stroke of good fortune came my way via a text message, which informed me that classes had been cancelled for Wednesday on account of a snow storm. I was working in studio then, and soon realized that I had a bit of extra time on my hands. After a quick calculation of available work time before a Thursday review, I cleared out of studio, grabbed my sketchbook, and took the metro up to the New York Public Library (42nd St & 5th Ave). I've been trying to find an opportunity to go there, and the opportunity found me.

[For those in NYC, the F and the 7 both drop you off directly outside of the library-- super convenient for a quick trip]

I took a little time to explore the Neo-Classical building, and situated myself in a nice corner of the massive reading room. I soaked in the space around me and began sketching. Its a wonderful place to read, study, sketch, relax... and very quiet, despite the fact that it was nearly full to capacity. Its kind of interesting being in a space like that; it goes against your intuition-- a room full of people, but its silent. Which reminds me of an exhibit I saw at the Philadelphia Museum of Art's Perelmen Building, Bruce Nauman's "Days and Giorni." Installed in long, narrow gallery with windows on both sides, you walk into a large empty room with the sound of people all around-- conversation surrounds you, yet you see no one. It was incredible to experience the effect sound has on space. (If anyone is in Philadelphia, this exhibit is still running and the Perelmen. It, along with Marcel Wanders: Daydreams, are both very much worth your while)

Arriving back on campus, I felt refreshed. I shared dinner with a friend, went to the gym for a quick workout, and went back to studio feeling more focused an energized than I have in a long time. And I probably was more productive than I would have been had I just stayed in studio all day. A lesson for all of us: a little randomness, and a little chance in your day is a good thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment