Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Journal: I am NOT a Missionary

I am NOT a missionary. I do not come loaded with an agenda. I do not propose to know what's best for the community I have been appointed to serve. I am partaking in a service experience, where I will be a servant to my new community in Detroit. I am working towards justice, not for charity. I approach this with the understanding that, although I may give my all to this community in a spirit of humility and grace, I can and will still learn more from those I serve than I can ever teach to them.

These are the lessons I have learned and been reminded of today. This is the spirit in which I can hope to approach my service role in Detroit. With the help of my friends and family and the assistance of the support network I am building in Little Rock, combined with an open heart, a listening ear, and a prayerful attitude, I can be a part of great things this summer.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

No comments:

Post a Comment